Monday, July 26, 2010

"Mom"day Monday...for the love of brown









Hello and welcome back to "Mom"day Monday! Every Monday I feature beautiful handmade cards by my mom, who is an uber-talented card artist. Today's Mom cards focus on browns and all of them have that wonderfully vintage feel that Mom is so fond of and has a knack for capturing.

I remember, years and years ago, when vintage was just catching on in card styles. One of the local stamp stores around at the time even devoted a class to creating that vintage look, but it required a vast amount of supplies and entailed numerous steps...all just to take a piece of paper and make it look old and tattered...LOL!! It wasn't long after, we started seeing Tim Holtz' name hit the market and with that he gifted the paper world with Distress Inks. Distress Inks enabled us to capture that well-worn, well-loved heirloom look in mere minutes! Since then, he continues to add "must have" tools to his repertoire, and we crafters wait in anticipation to see what wonderous delights will be next. I have said it before and I will say it again...now, actually...I'll say it now...THE MAN IS A GENUIS!!! Today, I can honestly say, there is not a single card I make that he is not involved in some way, shape, or form. I think he has elevated cardmaking and papercrafting to a whole new level! Sheesh, I better calm down...I'm getting a little carried away ;D Besides, this post is about my Mom's cards, not about Tim Holtz...hehehe...but, I know she won't mind, because she loves him just as much as I do ;D

The top card is one of Mom's more recent creations. I love it because while it is a very serene scene, there is something a bit dark about it. The cracks in the corner of the house, the worn stucco around the windows, that clever flower tree, and that fabulous faded ticking background all come together to create something just left of traditional and in my mind, that's perfection. Can't you just imagine some strange person sitting upstairs gazing out the window...!

The next two cards are somewhat older, but awesome none-the-less. AND the bottom card is one of my absolute favorites! So much attention to detail...a beautiful layout, and that warm brown color-palette. This needs to be in a frame!

Thanks for joining me for another installation of "Mom"day Monday. Be sure and come back, it's going to be a busy week...we have begun a new Kenny K's Krafty Girlz Challenge, so scroll down past this post to see that entry. Wednesday we are having another La-La Land Crafts Weekly Wednesday Challenge (it's going to be fun!) and it is also the last Wednesday of the month, which means it's time for another Bombshell Blog Hop (love those!). Plus, I still need to create and post August class samples, which I'm hoping to do soon. Hope your week is fab!!

10 comments:

  1. Love your Mom's cards Cheryl. They are stunning. She should start her own blog. hugs Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
  2. well sheryl tell your mom she makes beautiful cards
    these are wunderful real vintage look and I love those butterfly's


    greetings karin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom's cards are wonderful. She really does create the vintage look really well. Love that gothic arch shaped card with the eiffel tower. Well, they are all great. Great details esp the cracks on the house. I'm a huge fan of TH too, have you seen his sneak peaks of the new stuff he's bringing out at CHA? Wonderful stuff, I fear my bank manager might be getting nervous, lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All totally gorgeous cards Cheryl, love the vintage feel!
    Clairexx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never new your mom was great with art stamps to, I love it, these cards are so wonderfull.
    I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always a treat to see Marilyn's cards! And I love that she has a touch of "brown-itis" too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mother's cards are amazing. Now I see where you get your talent!!!

    I can't choose a favorite since they're all totally wonderful.

    Wow. Does she blog???

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful cards Cheryl I love the images and those gorgeous butterfly's they are stunning hugs Jill xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! They are greatly appreciated :D