Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A New Challenge at Tiddly Inks - Simplify with a One Layer Card






Hola, amigos!  I'm here today to announce the latest and greatest challenge from Tiddly Inks!  It's a doozy!  This week the Tiddly Inks team is asking you to SIMPLIFY your card creations by only using one layer.  That's correct.  Just one layer.  How did I like this challenge?  Let me put it to you this way.  I thought I was going to die!  "One layer?!  No way!"  This is an actual snippet of a conversation I had with myself before making my card.  It was immediately followed by a full-fledged, kicking and screaming, temper tantrum, complete with flailing arms and damsel in distress dramatics.  Needless to say, none of this changed the fact that I was still going to have to create a one-layer card.  Long story short, this one was tough.  I guess that's why they call it a "challenge"...DUH!  LOL!

Once I stopped whining and started working on the card, things started to look up.  First of all, I chose to work with the image, Donna.  Did you know this image is the namesake of my stamping blog buddy, Donna Mikasa?  Donna is a Tiddly Inks Coloring Friend and she has a fabulous blog called, Three Umbrellas.  Get it?  Umbrellas.  Donna (in the image) is holding an umbrella.  Ever notice when you over explain something it tends to dilute some of it's irony, humor, interest..whatever it was you were shooting for.  I think I best be moving on, before that happens here ;D   Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is, I love this image.

I colored up Donna with Copics in mostly primary colors and then decided to add dimensional lacquer to the umbrella and the rain boots.  The awesome striped ribbon down the side was a gift from my friend, Shay (hey, girl!)  Don't you love it!

Don't forget, you can pick up this image and tons more in the Tiddly Inks Shop.  Stop by the Tiddly Inks blog and see what magic the other Tiddly Inkers stirred up this week.  These gals are seriously talented!

That's it for now.  Stop by tomorrow for more card stuff.  Until then, stay crafty!  

18 comments:

  1. morning cheryl!!!! ooooh donna looks seriously cute here hun!! love the ribbon too hugs Lou xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I had about the same reaction,Cheryl. LOL We certainly are used to our layering, aren't we? Your card is gorgeous with the bright coloring and that fab ribbon Love it! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  3. love love love this card very simple, but eye catching! the ribbon is FAB and i love how u scrunched it!!!! have a great day! love, LINK"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna is STUNNING in primary colours. LOVING it! The folded ribbon is gorgeous, just adore this card - really! No tantrums were necessary, you did fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cheryl what a little cutie, gorgeous card design and fabulous colouring. hugs Shirleyxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is beautiful cheryl, love that adorable image and I like what you did with your ribbon.

    greetings karin

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, had the same feeling going into this challenge!! LOL! You seriously almost made me choke on my coffee as I was reading this. You should go into comedy my friend! But on another note...this card is GLORIOUS! I love the pops of color and shine! That ribbon is DELICIOUS!!! Oh and I'll definitely send you some stamped out images of the proverb used on my card! It's such a fabulous sentiment! Glad you enjoyed!

    Beautiful work as always!! =)

    XO
    Hugs!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL - well if it seemed difficult you managed just perfectly!!! I LOVE your card - such gorgeous colors on the white background and I LOVE your glossy accents - the tantrum was for nothing!!! LOL you should do this more often...ok ok - Hugs love it!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You did it Cheryl! Does the cut out image count as a layer! Hee Hee Just asking!! I love it...you should do more of these!
    Hugs, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Cheryl,this is to cute and so beautiful colourd!
    Hugs Heidy

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is amazing - love what you have done with the boots and brolly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am rolling on the floor at your conversation!!! Too freakin' funny!!! I am so sorry we caused you pain this week, but boy it turned out well!!! :) See....it was all for the good, right??? Don't you feel stretched? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. One layer - I think I agree with you! I would DIE! The coloring on this is gorgeous, and I really love the lacquer on the umbrella and rain boots.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so funny Cheryl, I loved reading your blogpost. Your card is fabulous. I love the glossy accents on the image, so adorable. Love your gorgeous ribbon.

    Hugs,
    Larissa

    ReplyDelete
  15. This card is so fabulous! I really love the way you used the bright colors with your black and white background and ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oohhhhhhh fabulous!! Your colouring just blows me away. Extremely amazing card!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Look at all the lacquer - it's perfect and very well done! Mine usually dilutes my colors but probably because I'm swishing it around to get all the bubbles out. LOL But I love your card! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is fantastabulous.

    I got tired of saying fantastic and fabulous. :D

    Great image, great coloring, and wow the dimension you achieved with glossy accents on a bow.

    One layer cards are impossible, so pat yourself on the back for a job well done!

    Marie-Anne's kittens are soooooo cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! They are greatly appreciated :D