Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Caged Skullies






Hi, all! Today I bring you the second card I will be teaching the morning of July 10th at China Phoenix 2.

Picture this...the Bombshell Sugar Skulls stamp set (we'll call her Sugar for short) is in a quiet bar having a cool libation to fight the sizzling Summer heat, when the Tim Holtz Alteration Birdcage Die (we'll call him Birdie) sidles up beside her and takes the vacant barstool adjacent to hers. They banter softly with each other. Sugar giggles. Birdie smiles. 12 shots of tequila later and the rest is history. Their crafty union results in something just left of traditional, yet just right of wild and crazy.

All right, I know I'm a nut, but that birdcage is just begging to be filled with all sorts of oddities. Wait 'til it gets closer to Halloween and see what I put in there...mwahahahah!! ***sitting here wringing my hands and laughing maniacally*** I said I was a nut ;D

I used pretty much the same techniques I outlined in yesterday's post, but I decided to go with Faded Jeans and Peeled Paint DI for the background panel. The Birdcage is out of Grunge Board and it has been embossed with one of the TH texture fades, treated with Vintage Photo and Walnut Ink DI, and painted with a good swipe of Tarnished Brass Distress Crackle Paint. The cage has been curved a bit to accommodate my oh, so cool, sugar skulls that have been colored with Copics. I stole the idea for winding the leafy ribbon around the cage from my mom...thanks, mom! The inside of the card displays a TH word stamp that says, "it's all perspective". I thought this was appropriate since Birdie is on the outside of the cage gazing in at his unusual hostages ;D

Allrighty, that's all she wrote! Have a great day!

6 comments:

  1. And this is why you are such a great card maker.
    When I surf over the web, I find a lot of Tim Holtz bird cage's. Everybody has the bird in the cage.
    And nobody els but you has the idea to put the bird on top and these wonderfull skulls in the cage.
    Wish I had this brilliant idea. LOL
    It is again another wonderfull creation. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really great what you did with the bird cage. I was thinking of putting a cat inside with the bird outside which might be some nice justice for birds. Love the colours you've used, the whole card is so classy and vibrant looking

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just gorgeous Cheryl, fantastic card!
    Clairex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! The best part is your little story that accompanies it though! You're a very funny lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously wonderful piece, Cheryl! Texture, dimension... especially with the bird on the outside... taunting what is inside :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well! What can I say...I raised a total genius! Hee Hee This card is mine, of course!!!
    Bring it with you when you come down for a visit next month!
    Hugs! Mom

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! They are greatly appreciated :D