Saturday, June 19, 2010

Father's Day Car (part 3)



Welcome to the weekend! Do you have big plans? We're having friends over for dinner tonight and it looks like it will be the perfect evening to enjoy our meal on the patio. Nothing like dining alfresco ;D Kirk will grill split chickens with his award winning (one of these day's it will win an award) seasoning rub and I will be in charge of everything else...a salad made with arugula, diced watermelon, feta, and a homemade vinaigrette; a side of pearl couscous studded with chopped sweet grape tomatoes, a little red onion, and a bit more feta; and last but not least, maybe some garlic bread toasted in the oven with olive oil, garlic, oregano, whatever my taste buds desire. When Kirk relates the story of our evening to friends and/or family, he will tell it like this, "I fixed dinner for our friends on Saturday." What?! Hello...! What am I? Chopped liver!? Thank goodness the other couple is bringing dessert or that would be my responsibility, too. Let me stop right here and give credit where it's due...our friend makes one of the 5 greatest desserts I have ever had the liberty of giving lip service to...a dense, yet creamy, handcrafted, homemade cheesecake...yummmmm! That in and of itself makes this dinner worthwhile. Chicken, schmicken, give me that cheesecake!

Now, don't get me wrong. There is no question...my husband is an excellent cook. He is a master of the grill and can take a plain ol' piece of meat and turn it into a moist, tender, delectable work of art. He has fine-tuned a seasoning rub and a barbecue sauce recipe that is an out of this world perfect balance of sweet, savory, and tangy. It will make any palette sing. It will, without a doubt, be our key to retirement; wasting away our senior days on a deserted tropical beach drinking floofy libations accessorized with umbrellas. We just need to figure out how to bottle it and market it. AND, although he has conquered the manly grilling arts of culinary cuisine he can also whip up a batch of oven toasted granola that will knock the hand-loomed hemp stockings off any health conscious, tree-hugging, nature lover out there. AND he can pretty much cook everything in between with panache. So, what's my beef (pun intended)? Give me a little credit in the cooking department. A teensy weensy little pat on the back is all I ask for. Try out the words "we" and "our" once in a while...for instance use the phrase "WE cooked dinner for our friends", "OUR dinner was a success". Practice saying these words in front of the mirror if you need to. After all, turkey by itself is just turkey. Throw in sausage and sage stuffing, triple corn spoon bread, and glazed yams, and you've got Thanksgiving DINNER. Now that's I'm talking about!

Today I started with the tangent instead of being sidetracked by it. Don't know that it makes much of a difference ;D Today's card is the last of the Father's Day cards I will be posting this month. Have you noticed that each day a feminine element found it's way into the project? Yesterday it was a single flower and gem. Today I have not only added a flower and gem, but ribbon and a bow. If I continued at this rate, the next card would have featured pink toile and lace, and a garden of paper flowers, so I better I stop, while I'm ahead :) Stop by on Monday for something completely different that I am absolutely aching to share with you. I'll leave you with a couple of hints: Tim Holtz and Sugar Skulls! Have an excellent weekend and don't forget to get inky!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Dinner sounds superb! Kirk is a master at the grill, and makes the most yummy "homemade ice cream" ever! You know your way around the kitchen pretty good too!
    Great card, Cheryl! Love the touch of orange you added to this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card, Cheryl! I love to see masculine cards with ribbon... I'm not the only one ;D And dinner sounds fantabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You crack me up! I love reading your tangents ALMOST as much as I enjoy your wonderful artwork.

    Great card. The ribbon actually adds a touch of boldness to the card.

    Enjoy your dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pfffffff, Cheryl, I cant keep op with you these day's.
    Where do your idea's come from.
    Lovely card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wish I could come for dinner, sounds sooo tasty. This card is gorgeous too. Love those birds and that ribbon adds just the right amount of pizzaz!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dinner sounds mmm, mmm, good! My favorite part would be the salad! My mouth is watering just thinking of all the wonderful flavors in there - only thing I would add would be some pinon nuts. Yummmmmm...
    Yummy card too! Love the boldness of it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! They are greatly appreciated :D