Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Father's Day Card (part 1) and a Tangent





Good Morning! Today I have a Father's Day Card for you. It is one of three that I made for one of my husband's coworkers. You'll recognize the main image from a birthday card I made for his boss. His coworker really liked that card and wanted one like it, but I just felt it could have been better, so I tweaked it a bit. It has basically the same layout and elements, however, I turned it on it's side and did away with the dark DP replacing it with a CuttleBugged background.

Just a quick random tangent, if you will. Have you noticed how readily we convert (popular) proper nouns into verbs without even giving it a thought? For example, my CuttleBug reference above, or how about Google? You need to know the details regarding some arcane bit of trivia, such as the mating habits of the tsitsi fly? Just Google it! No offense to all of the entomologists who read my blog. Or, how about IMDB, The Internet Movie Data Base. You're watching a movie and you know you've seen those six-pack abs before and you'd like to see them again. Who is that dapper fellow and what other movies does he have in the pipeline? Just IMDB it! What about Netflix? Your friend just saw, in his words, the greatest film ever made. Being the movie aficionado that you are, you'll be the judge of that, so you Netflix the film to prepare for your celluloid analysis of it. Just a note here, the greatest film ever made is a toss up between Quentin Tarantino's, Inglourious Basterds and Pulp Fiction. In case you're interested. I've done the research for you. You're welcome! Don't believe me? Then Netflix them both, but a word of warning, prepare to be pelted with profanity studded dialogue. That is just the Tarantino way ;D

BUT, on the other hand, lots of popular proper nouns don't get awarded a verb form of themselves in the current trendy vernacular, yet they have been around forever. Fiskars makes more cutting implements than any company I know of, yet when I cut something out, I don't "Fiskar" it. I drive a Ford pickup, yet when I take a drive, I do just that, I take a "drive". I don't "Ford" up to Hobby Lobby. In the world of technology, Apple is hugely popular, yet when I need to call a friend, I don't "iPhone" them. So, why some and not others? Perhaps it's because they have reached the pinnacle of what they do, I don't know. I don't have the answers...just the questions. Maybe one day I'll be awarded a verb of my very own. Used undoubtedly when someone feels the need to ramble on regarding some pointless observation. It will be known as the Cheryl. For instance, "Bonnie started blathering on about some ridiculous topic that nobody cares about...she totally Cheryl'd it!" LOL!

With that, I leave you. Have a marvelous day!

6 comments:

  1. Wow Cheryl! Thanks for the lesson in grammar! Little did I know...what a deep thinker you are! Your card looks good too! Hee Hee
    Hugs, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fight Club?!?!?!?!
    Dusk Til Dawn?!?!?!?!

    and where do they fit in missy?!?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cheryl

    You have made a beautiful card
    I like your coloring


    greetings from karin

    ReplyDelete
  4. LMAO...you're so funny!!
    Love your *cuttlebugged* background and the distressing! A fabulous card!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about your comments contained the "total cheryl". Now you're an adjective. Cool, eh?

    I like your observations, they're interesting, well written, and always, Always, ALWAYS make me smile. No hyperbole there either!

    Yeah.

    The card's pretty darned fabulous as well. I love your coloring. Do you use an air thingy? The cuttlebugged background is fabulous. I really like that one turned down star.

    Hee... You're not the only one who can prattle on endlessly. So there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops. I was redundant AND I forgot a question mark.

    Riddle me this. The period, comma, semicolon, and apostrophe all are right there.

    So, why do you have to actually use the darned shift key to create a question mark or an exclamation point?!?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! They are greatly appreciated :D